Saturday, September 6, 2014

The Hello

I am writing this with a cup of Japanese green tea beside me, with an open packet of the Filipino polvoron dessert, on a desk littered with memorabilia from the British book series Harry Potter, and in the Middle East. To top it off, I am half Singaporean and half Greek. 

The idea of culture has always interested me, especially how the lives of many modern people have become a medley of different cultures. The borders of a country are no longer barriers for its culture, and with the internet we can explore many different lifestyles without even having to leave our seats. In this way, it seems that many of us have become citizens of the world; experiencing media, food and clothes from every corner of our planet. 

Another aspect of culture that I find interesting is how different people have different interpretations of it. Growing up as an interracial child, I spent a lot of time wondering why we didn't all speak the same language, or have the same religion. I always thought it would save a lot of time and hassle if I only had to learn one language - not three. Reflecting on a question like this now, one can begin to see the importance of language in a culture. If the whole world spoke the same language, it would be much harder to feel a sense of "belonging" to a particular country. It brings to light how much a culture is defined by it's language - how there are certain words that are 'un-translatable', how some idioms express sentiments that are inexplicable to someone from a different culture. 

Personally, I have found that I think significantly differently when I am speaking Greek as opposed to when I am speaking Mandarin. I behave differently as well, with Greek speech punctuated using many hand gestures and Mandarin speech accompanied only by little nods of the head. It is sometimes unnerving to think that it is the same person speaking these two languages, I act so differently when in either of these characters. From this I learned that language not only gives you a sense of belonging, but transforms you into another person to fit the culture of the language you are speaking. 

Sometimes it's not even necessary to speak a language to be changed, however. Although I would not consider myself an anglophile, the majority of the media I watch is English with me being a big fan of Doctor Who, Harry Potter, and countless other English Youtube-rs. Due to this, I have found myself trying to emulate a British accent, and using many different words when I'm doing this, using phrases like "Haven't the foggiest" or "Blimey" that I would never use ordinarily (I even seem to enjoy tea more when I'm in this state). 

Through these different roles that I go through, however, I like to think that I am more or less the same person. I enjoy reading, art, puns, science, hats and interesting trivia - irregardless of which Athena I am being. The last book I read was Captain Corelli's Mandolin (thanks, Mr. Paul!), and I strongly recommend it for its prose and the feelings it evokes (as well as the many surprisingly accurate observations on Greeks). 

As for dreams, I would love to work in science as well as musical theater later on, although admittedly I'm unsure of how well they'll work together. Another (rather new) hope of mine is to be able to hone my writing skills, since today's post explained some facets of myself that I didn't quite understand. Hopefully I'll be able to sort out more of my beliefs through writing. :) 

On hindsight, this blog post may seem a little haphazard and stiff... Probably because it is my first attempt at writing a personal piece, hopefully the writing will become more lyrical with each new post. The photo that I feel best describes me is: 


Athena T. :D












9 comments:

  1. This post is both humorous and thoughtful. I saw the sentence you wrote about untranslatable parts of a culture as very meaningful. This further explains how a culture is not the same without its language, and vice-versa. I also enjoyed how you used your experiences from different cultures to show a new perspective on how language is transformative. Awesome post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A thoroughly enjoying read. The text offered me nothing but pure enjoyment and a new outlook on the transformative powers of language. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so nice :D I really do feel identified with the whole thing about language being so linked to culture, not only from language to language, but also from dialect to dialect, and it works like that especially in Spanish.... but I guess you can easily see how it could work in English.

    You also put in a pretty interesting thought, and you said that without different languages we wouldn't have a sense of "belonging," but if we all spoke the same language, wouldn't that make it easier for the human race to get along? and you could still have difference between the languages in the cultures because you have different accents/dialects... right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was such an amazing and descriptive blog to read. It gives a different view point to your opinion and the way you view culture. Love your picture that you chose to represent yourself :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The way you started your post was so interesting, I loved it! I agree that when speaking different languages, you may act different, but at the same time you remain the same person, an interesting point! Really enjoyed this :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a really great post. I can definitely relate with how speaking 2 different languages can change how you act. When I'm speaking English, I'm more relaxed and casual but when speaking Malayalam, I change and act like they expect me to.

    Don't worry about the whole stiffness of the post, I think despite the content, you've still expressed yourself ;) I'm sure you'll find your writing voice soon enough :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. The emphasis you put on the importance of language in culture, by mentioning that language gives you "a sense of belonging," was for me a very interesting approach. This is incredible! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Probably one of my favorite blogs! Literature wise, your style of writing is both educational and engaging, You mix the perfect amount of insight and humor to keep the audience interested. Because I identify myself with more than one culture and I act differently around each culture, I can complete relate with you! I love how you talk about how you may speak different languages and act differently but really you're still the same person. Loved this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a relatable post! I completely understand what its like to feel so different when speaking a different language, which just shows us how much language and identity link. Also great how you added the different gestures associated with the language you're speaking, just made the blog so much more descriptive to the reader. Excellent job Athena!

    ReplyDelete